No products in the cart.
Last Updated on November 21, 2020 by Eva Maria
This beautiful stone comes from the crystal quartz family and it is known for different shades of violet color. Amethyst is a healing stone that is providing overall peace and calming effects. It has been used for centuries as a protective amulet and to this day many psychic readers wear it during their spiritual work. In this post, you will learn about common amethyst properties, meaning, and different uses.
Amethyst meaning, geology, origins and history
- Amethyst word derives from Greek a- (“negative”) and methein (“to be drunken”) and literally means “not drunk”.
- The chemical formula is SiO2. Addition of iron and other transition metals give the crystal purple color.
- The most significant deposits of amethyst are found in southern Brazil, Uruguay, Madagascar, parts of Germany and Russia.
- Amethyst colour changes in response to heat. When leaving it in the sun the colour will fade.
- In ancient times amethyst was thought to prevent intoxication.
- According to legend, the Greek god of wine, Dionysus, once fell in love with a nymph named Amethyst. She didn’t like his advances so she asked for the help goddess Diana, who transformed her into a clear crystal. When Dionysus saw what she had done, he threw wine angrily upon the crystal, giving its purple colour.
- The ancient Egyptians believed amethyst could assuage fear and guilt.
- Greeks and Romans used it for protection against overindulgence in food and alcohol.
dreams, overcoming addictions, healing, peace, love, protection against thieves, courage, happiness, mental clarity, psychic powers, travel, spirituality, balance the aura, control negative thought, reduce tension
* This post contains affiliate links that allow me to earn a small commission from the purchases you make (at no extra cost for you!). *
Amethyst physical healing properties
- addictions, arthritis, bronchitis, burns, gout, headache, hearing disorders, infection, insomnia, intoxication, liver disorders, lung disorders, nervous system disorders, oedema, stomach disorders, vison
- Calming effects: defending against stress and negative feelings.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Support oxygenation in the blood.
- For headaches rub amethyst into your forehead.
- Amethyst placed under pillow combats insomnia and brings pleasant dreams.
- Helps to overcome habitual tendencies and addictions.
Amethyst spiritual healing properties
- Increasing psychic awareness and divinatory skills.
- Personal/spiritual growth: spiritual awareness, connection to inner self, heighten intuition and mental energy.
- Protects against psychic danger during spiritual exploration.
- Helps to transition to the meditative state by encouraging focus.
Amethyst as a talisman or amulet
- Used by men who would love to attract a good woman into their lives.
- Wearing the amethyst to court will influence the judge to rule in your favour.
- Wear amethyst pendant on a silver chain to shield against psychic attack and negative vibrations.
- Amethyst stone with cupid engraved into it used to be wear to attract true love.
- In Graeco-Roman times rings of amethyst set in bronze were worn as charms against evil.
- Magical cups carved from amethyst banished sorrow and evil from who drunk.
- Renaissance magick: picture of bear engraved into the amethyst stone was worn as a protective amulet.
Amethyst color meaning
- Dark amethyst: helps with concentration, willpower, overcoming pain, ward off external influences
- Light purple: peace, spirituality, clarification, meditation, intuition, good for dreams, enhances conscious perception
- Medium purple: alertness, justice, inner peace, helps overcome grief and losses, awareness, sense of judgement, constructive thinking
Amethyst meaning in magic and alchemy
- SLEEP AND DREAM MAGIC: Place amethyst beneath pillow if you’re suffering from insomnia and nightmares. This healing crystal produces peaceful sleep and prophetic dreams. May help to remember dreams upon waking. You can also program it for not oversleeping. Use it together with lavender essential oil for better results.
- RELAXATION MAGIC: Amethyst helps to deal with anger and violence. It is a stone of peace. If you’re stressed or feel anxious you can hold it in your non-dominant hand for a soothing and de-stressing effect.
- OVERCOMING ADDICTIONS: Amethyst lifts the spirit and allows you to work with your habitual behaviour. Wear programmed amethyst for a daily reminder of your goals.
- TRAVEL MAGIC: Amethyst brings courage to its wearer and it’s a powerful amulet for travellers. When worn it protects against thieves, harm, sickness and danger.
- MEDITATION: This crystal heightens meditative states and is worn during contemplation meditation or prayer. You can place it on your meditation altar.
- DIVINATION: Used to increase psychic awareness. Some people keep it with the tarot deck or rune set to heighten their inner energies.
- WISDOM: Amethyst improves memory and keeps thoughts in line with goals.
- LOVE MAGIC: Pure, true, emotional love. Amethyst stone used to be exchanged between lovers to strengthen their commitment.
- PROSPERITY MAGIC: Bring success into the business.
- BEAUTY MAGIC: Use amethyst crystal elixir for washing your face every day. You can also introduce positive affirmation to enhance the power of that ritual.
- energy: receptive
- planets: Jupiter, Neptune
- element: water
- deities: Bacchus, Dionysus, Diana, Amethyst, Venus,
- sabbats: Imbolc, Mabon
- powers: dreams, overcoming alcoholism, healing, psychism, peace, love, protection against thieves, courage, happiness
- numerical vibration: 3
- zodiac: Aquarius, Capricorn, Pisces, Virgo
- chakra: third eye, crown, soul star, stellar gateway
Amethyst and feng shui
Purification rituals, calming household turbulence, bring change when needed. You can place the amethyst crystal in the northeastern area of your household for wisdom.
Where to buy Amethyst?
Amethyst can be found in many metaphysical and crystal stores. It is one of the most common types of gemstones at an affordable price. Due to its hardness, it can be carved into wands, heart shapes, pendulums, and other figures. Sometimes it formes mesmerizing geodes full of shiny points.
If you feel, like this crystal calls your name, maybe it’s time to obtain a magical piece for yourself?
Amethyst free grimoire printable page
You can download the pdf version here!
- “Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic” – Scott Cunningham
- “Dunwich’s Guide to Gemstone Sorcery” – Gerina Dunwich
- “The Encyclopedia of Crystals, Herbs, and New Age Elements: An A to Z Guide to New Age Elements and How to Use Them” – Adams Media
- “The Healing Crystals First Aid Manual: A Practical A to Z of Common Ailments and Illnesses and How They Can Be Best Treated with Crystal Therapy” – Michael Gienger
- “101 Power Crystals: The Ultimate Guide to Magical Crystals, Gems, and Stones for Healing and Transformation” – Judy Hall