Subtotal: 6,99 $
Protection is an important practice of witchcraft, or any energy working in that matter. We don’t necessarily have to protect ourselves on all occasions, yet it’s a smart thing to do, especially when feeling a bit uncertain of the surroundings.
In this post, I’m going to give you a simple protection spell jar recipe! You can keep this jar on you or hang it next to your main door. You could also make a small protection spell jar for your altar. This way it will be guarding your personal and magical space on all occasions.
A protection spell jar is a small jar filled with protective ingredients such as herbs, crystals, ash, salt, ground eggshells, etc. Its purpose is to guard you against negative influences and make sure that your environment is safe from disturbing energies. It’s a way of preserving personal vibration at the most optimal state. If you feel like a protection spell jar is something you need in your life, check the instructions below on how to make one.
✧ Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. They allow me to earn a small commission from the purchases you make (at no extra cost for you!). ✧
What is protection in witchcraft?
Protection is a form of shielding and guarding your energy. Most witches are highly empathetic and easily absorb the energies around them. Protection creates a safe space around your body, home, or property.
Sometimes we might find ourselves drained and shuttered from an excessive amount of energies that are attached to our being. To stop that unfavored cycle we can perform different protection spells.
Protection also allows us to fully understand our personal energies and differentiate them from outer influences. It is performed to guard your being, especially during magical workings.
Would you like to learn more about witchcraft and you don’t know where to start? Here are 11 tips for Beginner Witches!
Why protection is important?
You can imagine yourself as a being of light and high vibrations. Especially when you practice magic or other forms of energy working your aura lights up and attracts all sorts of energies.
Witches, as well as other energy workers, empaths, healers, and medicine people, might find themselves buried among fields of energy from other people, objects, and non-physical beings that try to “steal” a bit of that light for themselves.
If you don’t protect your personal energy, you might find yourself tired, unfocused, or drained all the time. Below you will find some examples of protection spells and a simple protection spell jar that you can carry with you on all occasions.
What are different protection spells?
- Centering and Grounding – Centering is finding your energy center and allowing the natural flow within your body. Grounding is a form of releasing excessive and disturbing energies that reside within your body.
- Protective Poppet – making a poppet with protective herbs, sigils, salt, crystals, and a personal representation such as hair or nail clippings.
- Protection Amulet – a dedicated and charged item that you carry on yourself for protective purposes.
- Witch’s Ladder – a protective amulet made from twigs and feathers that you hang next to the door.
- Protection Spell Jar – a jar filled with salt, protective herbs and crystals, and other items (recipe below).
- Charm Bag – similar to spell jar; a sachet filled with protective items.
- Visualizing protective bubble
- Using a protective oil for guarding of negativity.
This roller oil has been crafted, charged, and blessed to empower your fight against harmful entities including demons. The oil is also charged with level 2 student Reiki energy for an added kick.
What is veiling in witchcraft?
In pagan and witchcraft circles veiling is a magical process of covering the head, hair, and crown chakra to protect their energy. It is especially helpful for empaths and people with heightened psychic abilities.
I remember back in 2017, I was wearing black hats whenever I went out to highly crowded places. Soon I realized that this is done for protection purposes and allows me to stay within my energy field and don’t absorb too many outer influences. Years later, I found out that veiling is a real thing and actually has great use in magic.
What are wards and warding in witchcraft?
Warding is a practice of casting protective spells upon objects or symbols that are dedicated to warding off negative or disturbing energies. These objects then become the wards and are placed in your surroundings to keep negativity and evil energies from your space.
A list of Protection Herbs in Witchcraft:
Aloe, Angelica, Anise, Ash, Bamboo, Basil, Bay, Blackberry, Cactus, Carnation, Cedar, Cinnamon, Clove, Coconut, Cumin, Cypress, Dill, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Fern, Frankincense, Garlic, Hazel, Holly, Honeysuckle, Ivy, Juniper, Lavender, Lilac, Lime, Mallow, Mugwort, Mustard, Myrrh, Nettle, Onion, Pine, Raspberry, Rose, Rosemary, Sage, St. John’s Wort, Tulip, Willow, Wormwood
The full list of protective herbs can be found in the book – Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs.
A list of Protection Crystals in Witchcraft:
Amber, Apache Tear, Black Tourmaline, Calcite, Carnelian, Citrine, Crystal Quartz, Flint, Garnet, Jade, Lapis Lazuli, Mica, Moonstone, Obsidian, Onyx, Petrified Wood, Salt, Serpentine, Sunstone, Turquoise
The full list of protective crystals can be found in the book – Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic.
To download the Protection Herbs and Crystals printable, click on the image below and it will take you to the PDF file of that page.
How to make a protection spell jar?
You can watch a tutorial video on how to make a protection spell jar here:
Protection spell jar ingredients:
- a small jar
- black or white candle – to seal the jar
- black salt and if you don’t have it, you can just use cooking salt instead
- some protective herbs – see the list above
- one or two small protective crystals – see the list above
- ground eggshells
- piece of paper and pen to write an intention or a protective sigil
Protection spell jar recipe:
- Cleanse your space, your energy field, and a jar. To do so, you can use the smoke of your favorite herb bundle or incense.
- Prepare all protection spell jar ingredients that you want to use.
- Cast a circle if you wish to maintain your energy working undisturbed
- Find the intention – What do you want to protect? From what? Visualize your outcome and find the right words. Feel safe and comfortable when you choose your intention. Write it on a small piece of paper or craft a sigil.
- Put your protection spell jar ingredients in a cleansed jar. Add your intention.
- Seal the protection spell jar with the white or black colored wax.
- Close the circle and pick the right place to put your protection spell jar.
This way you have created a powerful protection spell jar!
Some of you might be thinking, what do we need protection from.
And that is a really good question.
Personally, I think that our reality is based on the thoughts and electromagnetic fields that they create. This way, all circumstances match our own energetic blueprint that we emit constantly.
When our thoughts are mostly combined with fear, this creates a scary reality in which everything can be a threat to protect from.
If we fear that there is something outside of ourselves, that can possibly harm us, we want to protect our being and surroundings at all costs. And this is a human right to feel safe and calm on all occasions.
But to be honest, I think there is a deeper meaning to all of this. When there are parts of ourselves that feel threatened or uncertain, they definitely need more attention. Whether these are physical beings or spiritual ones, we really need to think about why we are afraid of them. What emotions do they bring in us? What circumstances we are afraid of? Which thoughts, internal dialogue, and stories feed that fear and need for protection?
We are all one and connected with an invisible web of karma (action and reaction process) in a broader sense. It all comes back to us, and there is a possibility that the things we need to protect ourselves from, actually live within us.
I will just leave you with this thought for contemplation and if there’s something that you’d like to add, go ahead and leave a message in the comments.
And as always, if you have any questions regarding the protection topic, I’m happy to discuss more in the comment section!
Would you like to learn more about Protection magic and spells? Check out these two books:
- “Protection Spells: Clear Negative Energy, Banish Unhealthy Influences, and Embrace Your Power” by Arin Murphy-Hiscock
- “Protection & Reversal Magick: A Witch’s Defense Manual” by Jason Miller
My name is Eva Maria and I love to create magical content based on my own studies and experience. Merkaba Study is an online grimoire where you can read about crystal healing properties, spells, tarot, and more!